Saturday, April 8, 2017

New Bikes!

DSCF5480b
I've said it here a few times now over the last few years, and finally we have bicycles!  Last weekend we went to look at them in a store then came home and shopped online for what we wanted.  They arrived on Thursday this past week, the delivery driver was good enough to leave them at the back door since we weren't at home.  We've never had a delivery stolen but we know that it has happened in the area before.  That night I started putting mine together, and today I finished it and put my wife's together.  Hers went much smoother than mine.  She has a nifty 3 speed that has the normal brakes of a one speed, while I have a 7 speed with hand brakes.  We won't be riding in any races, just riding around our side of town, eventually.

We spent some time outside with adjustments and learning to ride a bike all over again.  While I think it is true, that you never forget how to ride a bike, the details and the finesse of it will take time to re-learn.  Still, the harder part is going to be getting the body back into somewhat near the shape it was the last time we rode bikes.  For me it has to be at least my late teen years, while Kate thinks she may have been twelve when she last rode a bike.  We started mostly in the driveway and yard until moving to the sidewalk and then the street, but just our little corner of the street, maybe a couple hundred feet either way at the most.  It was a nice little exercise and, as my wife pointed out, much different than riding the recumbent exercise bike downstairs.

We practiced enough to be a little sore, but not too bad.  Overall, not bad for how long we've not ridden.  There are so many places we can get to just on our side of town, and so many dedicated bike paths to get there and further, if we ever wish.  I'm looking forward to getting in better riding shape this summer, even if it's just for a quick jaunt down the bike path to Atwood Ave to get ice cream! →

2 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Well done!

But... bike helmets? I once had to assess the residual abilities of a 15 year old cyclist who'd gone into the back of a parked car (while going fast). Vegetable doesn't cover it. Her neurologist told her parents that had she been wearing a bike helmet she'd probably have got away with cuts and bruises. Whenever I hear about people getting bikes again, her image comes back into my head...

Scoakat said...

We just ordered them from Amazon, should be here in a couple days, ready for weekend practice!

I'm more ready to go ride off somewhere now but my wife is being much more hesitant, which is only smart. I can almost feel the aches and pains I'll have already!