- After a very cold November, December has thankfully been much more seasonable. All the snow we had was melted by the middle of the month, so we did not have a white christmas - not that I mind at all. We will be ringing in the new year much cooler starting, well, now. It was -1º F when I left for work this morning. Thats about -18º C for my friends outside America.
- This short "break" I have taken from blogging has been good for me. In fact, I'm tempted to extend it but I need to write/rant/unload sometimes and, after all, I do enjoy it. In this time away I have cut down on podcasts and websites that I had almost obsessively kept up on before, so I managed some more time in the living room in the evenings with my wife, and I'm working on reading my first book in several months (I'm The Man by Scott Ian from the band Anthrax). I'm sure I would have cut down my computer time even more but I have been reading a lot of sports sites. The Packers are entering the playoffs, the Badgers football team plays in the Outback Bowl tomorrow and basketball season is under way with the Badgers a top 5 team in the country. It's usually a good thing to be a fan of sports teams from Wisconsin. We may not win championships every year, but we seem to have a realistic shot every year after year.
- Let's see, weather - check, address the break - check, sports bragging - check, um. See, I had a couple interruptions from typing so now I have to gather my thoughts again. A sign of getting older? Maybe, so is wanting to stay home on new year's eve, some say. Okay, back on track now, let's talk about that!
- Tonight. New Year's Eve 2015. My wife has allowed me to stay home tonight. It was much less dramatic than the last few years. Without looking back to what I've written, we seem to have had a pre-party here and then gone out to the same local tavern for the last several years. While I have had a lot of fun doing that, despite sometimes being a 'whiny little bitch' about it - as my wife said I wrote last year - I am finally staying home this year. I hope to ring in the new year in my sleep. I think this is the 5th consecutive year that the Badgers have played in a new year's day game and I will finally be able to feel good, energetic, and be able to really enjoy a few drinks during the game instead of just having a couple 'hair of the dog' drinks to try and enjoy our college football's last hurrah for the season. I have actual errands to get done before the game, too. Back on topic, though, less friends will be out this year anyway, no one says we all have to do the same thing every year. I do feel a bit bad because I will not get to kiss my wonderful wife at midnight, though...
- The water heater has been leaking a bit. It started several weeks ago, actually, and has gotten progressively a bit worse. When we bought the house the inspection said that it was toward the end of its useful life. That was over 5 years ago. Plus, stupid me had no idea there was maintenance for me to drain it clear twice a year. So anyway, the plumbers are showing up here in a few days to install a new water heater. While they're here I have a couple other odd little jobs for them, too. Hell, if you have a plumber at the house you better address all issues that day - to save money, of course. We don't really have other issues other than I want to be able to remove the bathtub drain plug for snaking hair - I've tried but it is old and I can't remove it as it should be able to be removed so want a pro to make it so. Also, we want to get a water filter for under our sink so we don't have to filter our cooking, ice and drinking water through a pitcher filter anymore. Certainly not an absolute necessity in our city, just really our strong preference. I will have to work that day but my lovely wife has off to host the plumbers and oversee their work. I wish I could be here but I do trust this local company to get things done right, they have helped us out before.
- I didn't post about Christmas, but we did have a very enjoyable early one with my Mom and Dan and my sister Kelly and her kids James and Lindsey. My brother couldn't make it with his family unfortunately or it could have been probably the best holiday with my sibs and nieces and nephews in forever. In otherwords, I was disappointed it didn't work out that we all were there at the same time, oh well, what works out best for us does not always work best for others. On Christmas Eve we had a nice evening with the my wife's family at her sister's house, the one with our 3 nephews. All seemed to have a good time and some good gifts were given. It is all for the kids to us these days, and I do enjoy these kids, the youngest is a sport. It is kind of fun trying to get them the perfect gift for $$ dollars, and only $$ and not $$$ dollars. They're kids, after all.
- I also found out that a good high school friend's wife passed from cancer very recently. My contact info for him is out of date. We kept in touch after high school, I was in his wedding, and we remain friends for many years but I have not talked to him in several. I'm not sure what I would say right now, anyway, but I'd like to let him know that I'm thinking of him and his family. RIP Becky.
Happy New Year to you all. The ones I read, the ones I love, all my friends and all of you who take the time to read me. Whether you comment or not, I can see you're there. Thank you.