Monday, May 16, 2011

Just Some Medical Updates

A good Monday morning to you!  I haven't been posting much the past few days, we have been preparing for - and recovering from - our anniversary party on Saturday.  That deserves it's own post later so now I just want to play catch-up and get my latest medical update on the record here.

On Thursday last week I had my first follow up appointment for my neck fusion.  Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera so I have no x-ray pic to share.  The implant was clearly visible in the x-rays taken that day, but it was troubling to see that one of the screws in the top vertebrae seemed to have broken loose and is now poking down into the area that was vacated by the disc.  Overall it should not be an issue, that disc space is already growing bone, but I am supposed to get a call from the neurosurgeon today with further explanation.  Plus, I got 90 more Percocet to help me with my back neck pain since I still can't take any NSAIDs.

Speaking of back pain, kinda, well it still lingers.  About six weeks now, since right after my neck surgery.  It has improved from its worst a couple weeks ago, but it just has not gone away yet.  I have not been doing as many exercises for it as I could be doing, but getting on and off the floor is pretty tough on my aching bones.  Still, if I can keep improving maybe I can convince myself that I won't need surgery on it this year.  Here's to hoping.

While I'm speaking medically, my leg has been still healing under me.  I rarely use the cane at home anymore, just when I go out and about.  Even then I should scale back on using it and practice walking without a limp or lurch.  Exercise will help that, too.  My last physical therapy appointment is this week, and it is time.  I've been seeing this therapist since last fall, it will be 21 visits overall, and I finally feel it is time to move on.  I've accomplished just about all I can in physical therapy for my leg, I'll just get some last advice and continue to exercise on my own.

That's all - isn't that enough?  I feel a need to chronicle the medical stuff in case I need to look back later, thank you for indulging me.

No comments: